Clippers cancel Tuesday shooting over health and safety precautions – Orange County Register
PLAYA VISTA – The Clippers’ game against the Dallas Mavericks on Tuesday night went as planned, but in the morning the Clippers called off the shootout for precautionary reasons related to health and safety protocols, the company said. team.
The Honey Training Center, where the Clippers train, was unusually quiet shortly before the shootout began on Tuesday. Word came that it had been canceled at around 9:15 am, and a few minutes later the team announced that the cancellation was due to health and safety protocols.
“As a precaution,” Clippers coach Tyronn Lue said before giving a signal Tuesday at Staples Center. “Just be careful.”
Having to skip a pre-game visit was less of a problem, the coach said, given the Clippers faced the same opponent as on Sunday.
“I mean, I couldn’t call the guys up and say, ‘OK, now we’re going to meet early at the arena’, that wasn’t fair. So we just canceled, ”Lue said. “And everyone is fine, so lucky we were playing on the same team again, so it’s not too big an adjustment.”
Nicolas Batum of the Clippers was eliminated late on Sunday before the first of two straight games against the Mavericks, having concluded the league’s health and safety protocols, the team said.
Lue said on Tuesday that the 32-year-old French striker “is doing well” even though he is expected to miss at least 10 days – or four more games – according to a report from The Athletic’s Shams Charania on Sunday.
“I’m not sure what days, but I expect him to be away for (a while),” Clippers coach Tyronn Lue said after Sunday’s win. “I’m not sure about the timing, however. ”
Before the start of the season, Lue said all Clippers players were vaccinated.
“Our guys are vaccinated,” Lue said on day two of training camp in San Diego state. “We just have to do whatever the league tells us to do, we try to play by the rules and go from there. And we talked about it last year, just being able to adapt and do what we need to do to play the game we love.
Last season, the Clippers were one of three teams that did not postpone a game due to health and safety guidelines.
Batum was first reported as “sick” on Sunday, but that designation was quickly updated.
“Everyone is tested and a lot of guys were tested before the game so I just have to see what the results are,” Lue said on Sunday, as he wore a mask on the bench in the 97-91 win. of the Clippers on Dallas – a start from his practice earlier this season.
“But it’s going to happen. So last year, like you said, we did a good job of staying away from that, but it’s something that’s going to hit everyone at some point. You just have to be smart and make sure everyone is safe.
Last season a few Clippers support staff had to quarantine themselves for a few days and later All-Stars Paul George and Kawhi Leonard were caught in protocols due to looking for contracts for four days. , missing the first two games of a month in January. car trip.
“A lot of teams are going through this, it’s not just us,” Lue said on Sunday. “We must continue to weather the storm. ”